Sunday, July 13, 2008

Extraordinary Food in Japan

Dinner the second and third nights in Japan was unbelievable! The second night we ate in a restaurant situated in a 400 year old inn. It was gourmet, Japanese style.

Our table in the restaurant

The building was held together by ropes and wooden spikes.

The first course was octopus.

Next came assorted raw fish with flowers.

I believe this was a mushroom on tofu.

Fish and sweet potato

I don't think we wanted to know what this was.

A stacked salad

Stuffed squash

A small lobster in broth with a side of rice and pickled veggies.


The next night we ate at a French restaurant/wedding chapel on the ocean.

First course--I didn't recognize any of it.

Goose liver or foie gras came next--definitely interesting!

Something like yogurt covered with gravy and lima beans.

Some delicious fish dish.

Beef--quite rare--and a purple cauliflower.

Definitely dessert--my favorite part.

I felt privileged to be able to eat with Jim's colleagues .
I'm pleased to report that I tasted every single item served.

3 comments:

Tori said...

Holy cow. I think I only would have eaten the dessert. That is the only thing I even recognize at all! You are so brave, mom.

Elly said...

Wow. A feast for the eyes! Yeah, I'm with Tori...still not so gastronomically brave.

Dan and Dee said...

What a trooper you were. I am not that brave! We're going to China and I will be the one looking for something normal or fresh fruit...that I will wash very carefully...ugh, I can't believe you took pictures of your food, smart you. I will have to remember that!
We went to Kyoto when we picked Tiana up from her mission in Tokyo and stayed 3 days. AWESOME place! It would have been nice to have stayed a week there so one day was probably a whirlwind visit for you, but so worth even a day!