Thursday, November 19, 2009

Jim's Birthday Bash

Jim's birthday bash was fabulous--in spite of the fact that it was completely spontaneous. After spending the week zoned in on writing a talk and preparing a lesson to present in church on Sunday, I had neglected to make any birthday party preparations. Jim was going to be in China on his birthday (Monday, Nov. 16) and, knowing how much he loves a party, I approached him on Thursday with the idea of having some friends over the following evening to celebrate his birthday. Jim was so excited by the idea that he even offered to make the phone calls! I, being the generous wife that I am, (and still fully immersed in that talk and lesson) let him. Jim made some phone calls and was happy to find Vicki and Daryl at home to accept his invitation to dinner, keeping the birthday celebration a secret so we could have a "surprise" party.

Vicki and Daryl were the perfect birthday party guests. They loved being a part of our "surprise" party. They even agreed to join us in the birthday march!


The seven minute frosting (Jim's favorite all his life) didn't get too hard or slide off the cake--another sign of success!:)

We even had candles--a rare occurrence. But only because Jim had made a last minute run to the store before the party to buy the forgotten candles and had placed them carefully on his cake.

Blowing out the candles brought lots of laughter. I forgot to take the picture of Jim blowing out the candles the first time. We replaced them, re-lit them and tried again--for posterity. I couldn't get the camera to take the picture the second time and thought I'd missed it again. We did a pretend-Jim-is-blowing-out-the-candles picture but he was laughing too hard to make it look authentic. We checked the pictures I had taken and discovered that the first one had actually caught enough of the action to suffice.

Happy Birthday, Jim! You're the best husband ever. Thanks for being so patient with your crazy wife.:) Thank you, Vicki and Daryl, for being such great friends.

3 comments:

Shawn said...

Happy birthday Jim!! Sounds like you had a fun time!

swilson556 said...

what? candles on a birthday? how'd ya swing that one???? haha love you! you two are just too cute.

Mom n Pop Wilson said...

Well, about 5:00 pm, just before dinner, I rushed down to the store and bought a few things we were missing for my party. I happened to pass by the birthday candles and thought, "Why not? It's my party. I can have some candles if I want some." That was how we came to have candles for my party.
Dad