Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A Day in My Life

Here's a record of my day on Tuesday, December 9.

5:30 - 8:00 am

I woke up and automatically reached for my watch on my bedside table to find out what time it was--5:30 am. Frustration! Old habits die hard. For more years than I care to count our alarm was set for 5:30 am so we could get up with our kids to help them get out the door for zero hour or early morning seminary. It's been eight months since the last one graduated from high school and I'm still finding myself awake at 5:30 am! My attempts to get back to sleep were fruitless and when the radio started playing at 6:30 am, I climbed out of bed to start my day. Luckily I had managed to steal a few hugs from Jim.:) I pulled on my workout clothes and made my way to the kitchen to put together Jim's lunch and make breakfast.


Jim had put the ingredients to a small loaf of bread in the bread machine the night before, a new experiment. The loaf I took out in the morning was tiny. We ate most of it for breakfast with spread and homemade plum jelly. It tasted delicious! Hot chocolate and clementines rounded out the meal. I cleaned up the kitchen.


8:00 - 9:00 am

I put a load of laundry in the washing machine,

...said goodbye to Jim, weighed an envelope to mail to daughter Cami and checked out the USPS website to figure out how much postage it needed--$1.51. I added a little extra, just in case.:) I made my way to the family room and turned on the TV and my exercise warm up DVD.

After the warm up, I completed my exercise routine while watching the Early Show. Here's my equipment.

I put Cami's letter in the mailbox and headed off on my walk in the clear, frosty morning air.




Home again!

I turned on the Christmas lights in the family room.


Our tiny tree is new this year. Actually, I bought it for the lake house adventure last Christmas. After the frustration of dealing with burnt out lights on the large prelit tree for the past three years, I decided to save myself the headache and put up the tiny tree. What a relief!

9:00 - 11:00

I showered and dressed--reveling in the fragrance of the pomegranate body wash and coconut body butter.

Of course, I noticed my newly pedicured feet (last year's Christmas gift from Elly which I finally got last week). Red toes are amazingly invigorating.

I made my bed....

...and walked down the street to practice the song I'm singing with two other women for HFPE on Thursday evening. Unfortunately, our pianist didn't show up. We practiced the best we could.

11:00 - 12:30

I put in another load of wash. Realizing I was famished after having missed my morning snack, I decided to eat an early lunch. I enjoyed leftover chicken fricasse, green salad, fruit salad and chocolate soy milk while planning out the rest of my week (a task I had meant to do on Monday).

I folded a huge pile of laundry in my new office/laundry room extension while listening to Stardust on CD. My "before" picture didn't work. Here's how it looked after the laundry was all folded and put away. I love this room!

Next, I planned the week's menu and made my grocery list before walking out the door to do some grocery shopping.

12:30 - 3:00 Grocery shopping! Costco first and then off to Winco.

I filled the back!
3:00 - 5:30

Back home after the shopping expedition! I put in the last load of laundry and sat down for my afternoon snack of hummus, multi-grain chips, clementine and chocolate pudding. I read the Ensign while I snacked. Then, I put the groceries away.

I fed the cat....

...and checked on the chickens.

I found five eggs! Jim will be so-oo happy.

I talked to Jim on the phone for a few minutes (I couldn't wait to tell him about all the eggs :)), folded some towels and finished putting up the Christmas decorations in the living room.

The living room tree is even tinier than the one in the family room.

5:30 - 8:00

I fixed Hawaiian Haystacks for dinner which Jim and I enjoyed together. We also had broccoli and home canned applesauce.

As usual, I made a huge mess in the kitchen when preparing dinner. It took me a while to clean it up.

8:00 - 10:30

Computer time! Unfortunately, I discovered that half of the photos I had taken during the day did not turn out because I didn't have the flash turned on. I swear I saw something flash with each shot. I had to retake a few photos which explains why you see dark sky outside the windows instead of light and, also, the reason why the "before" pictures are missing. Someday, I really need to take the time to learn how to use that camera. I had a bedtime snack of hot milk and homemade bread while reading my latest novel, A Fatal Waltz by Tasha Alexander. At 10:00, Jim and I read Ether 8 and got ready for bed. What a day! I was exhausted but happy. It had been a productive day. I should do this more often (after I've learned how to use the camera).:)

7 comments:

Shawn said...

Yay!! Thanks, janene! This was fun to read! I can't even imagine what it will be like after I have all my kids gone---I still have nine years to go! AAACCCKKK!

I just am destined to naps.

I had a great visit with three of your kids on Sunday---they are the COOLEST! Love them...

Tori said...

What a great day! I loved picturing you taking all of these pictures and having so much fun doing it. But I especially love the look on Dad's face in the dinner pic that is saying "I can't believe she is making me take this picture but it is so funny how excited she is about this silly thing, so I'll just smile because I love her!" Am I wrong?? :)

Anonymous said...

You might read all that into the picture. There is more to the story, but I am not telling the rest of the story. I will just smile because I really do love her!

Elly said...

Your day is so orderly and calm! I wonder if I'll ever get there...? Probably not, with the way I tend to run things.

Mom n Pop Wilson said...

Dad was trying to humor me after four tries of me trying to take the picture. The first time, I didn't have the flash turned on (I mentioned that discovery in my post). I won't go into the rest of the details. Let's just say it's a good thing he loves me!:)

Anonymous said...

Wow, your day was so quiet. I look forward to those kind of days again. I did like the pictures especially the egg ones. Very colorful.

Dan and Dee said...

You are a hoot Janene!
Merry Christmas!