Saturday, May 30, 2009

Jacob, a Canoe and Some Bicycles

Because it takes me so much time to create a post, I've decided to take a new approach to blogging. Instead of trying to catch up on all that has happened in the past couple of months and get even further behind, I'm going to try to alternate recent occurrences with flashbacks to the past. Because this is our family history, I don't want to miss a thing!

Our son, Jacob, came to visit last week. Although I'm not so sure we were his main motivation for the visit (there was a friend's wedding reception which brought several other friends into town), we were excited to have him spend a few days with us.

Jim and Jacob had quite the adventure one day canoeing on the Snake River. At one point, their attempts to maneuver around a rock in the middle of a rapid failed and they hit it head on. Jacob flipped out of the canoe and onto the rock. Then the canoe flipped on top of him. I guess Jim had already fallen out. Overturned canoe and crew continued to drift down the river at full speed through some fairly rapid currents. I got the impression that they experienced several intense moments before they were finally able to get to the shore with the canoe. Luckily only a few bruises were sustained and everything but one tube of sunscreen recovered. The rest of the canoe trip proved uneventful. After reaching their destination, Jacob rode his bicycle for eleven miles, uphill, in the hot sun to retrieve the car and trailer. What an experience!

Cami and I got to join Jim and Jacob for the bicycling event on Bennett Mountain the next day. I drove the relief vehicle and took photos. They rode their bicycles for about 30 miles.


They started their ride at what appeared to be the top of the mountain.

They soon came to the realization as they continued to ride uphill for several miles that they had not started at the top. Thank goodness for the relief vehicle! As we continued on our journey, we encountered a herd of sheep,

were awestruck by amazing vistas,


and even herded some cattle encountered along the way.

I enjoyed trying to find interesting sights to photograph as I slowly traveled along behind.






We stopped to rest at an inviting oasis.



We celebrated the end of the ride at Three Island Crossing State Park with a picnic.

Jacob's visit inspired some grand adventures as well as some belly busting laughs around the dinner table just like the old days. Thanks for giving us some of your time, Jacob!

2 comments:

Tori said...

Wow! What a great trip! Mom, you really take some great pics.

Shawn said...

wow! What a lot of adventures, and I thought the pics were cool----you kept yourself busy!! :)

Thanks for voting on my blog---I am just trying not to be in last place!