Monday, June 1, 2009

Buenos Aires in March-The Retiro District

Our hotel in Buenos Aires was located in the Retiro District. From our room, we could see the ferry terminal and the Colonia Express that could take us to Montevideo, Uruguay in about 20 minutes where Sariah is presently serving a mission. Amazingly, we did not succumb to the temptation to go visit her.


From the breakfast buffet, we could see the British Clock Tower or Torre Monumental in front of the train station,

the many office buildings and hotels that comprise the district,

and the Plaza San Martin.

I explored the Plaza San Martin that first morning in Buenos Aires. Located in the park is the Islas Malvinas-Falkland Islands War Memorial,

a monument to General Jose de San Martin,

flowering jacaranda trees,

and the biggest rubber plants I had ever seen.

There was a special United Nations display of bears representing each country....
...and some beautiful old buildings.

As I was walking back to the hotel, a man grabbed my necklace and the strap of my purse. Luckily I was holding onto my purse. The thief got away with only the necklace...a necklace I had purchased at Walmart for about $8.

2 comments:

Claire Roach said...

What a fun trip, minus the robbery! That must have been a scary experience! Good job holding onto that purse. And good job holding back from visiting Sariah-that must have been hard. :)

dee said...

Enjoyed your blog but my heck, I can't believe how brazen the guy was to try to take your purse and got the Wal-mart necklace.
It's fun to see you get to travel with Jim!