Friday, June 5, 2009

Buenos Aires in March - Recoleta

In two and a half days, I saw enough of Buenos Aires to only wet my appetite for more! First, I took a bus tour to get an overview of the city. Then, Jim and I returned to explore further some of the more interesting sections.

Recoleta is the city's most exclusive neighborhood. It has a very European feel. I saw the Floralis Generica, below, from the bus. It actually opens and closes.


The Covenant and the Pilar Church was built in 1706.

The Recoleta Cemetery, the burial place of many wealthy and famous people from Argentine history (including Evita), was created in 1866.

It covers 4 blocks and contains over 6,000 tombs. Many are quite spectacular. All were interesting.

Plaza Francesa near the cemetery and church was under construction but there were some stunning trees that got our attention. The monument was donated in 1910 by France.

On our last day, Jim and I explored the huge and colorful handicraft market that was set up around the plaza.


We were impressed with the beautiful parks in the area containing unique vegetation and, just like the rest of Buenos Aires, several monuments.


We discovered the Monument to Evita, the contemporary National Library....

...and a delicious fruit and ice cream concoction in the restaurant next to the library. Yum!

2 comments:

Shawn said...

I think that it is so great that you have the chance to travel. It is what I always wanted to be doing at this time of my life, but well---it looks like I will always be working....sigh.

Tori said...

More wonderful pics, Mom! It really does look like Europe. And that ice cream looks delicious!