Thursday, October 8, 2009

Turkey Dinner and a Miracle Round

The first week in October, while Jim was attending meetings in California, I made the trek to Utah to spend time with family. My schedule was full!

I arrived in Salt Lake with just enough time to pick up Elly's kids from Grandma Swings and find my way (I got lost taking a back route to avoid the traffic) to Grandma and Grandpa's house for a family gathering and turkey dinner. Delicious food, great company and Grandma's and Grandpa's toys made for an unforgettable evening.





I spent the night with my parents. After breakfast, I drove to Provo and went shopping with Cami. We had more shopping than time and ended up being late to pick up Sariah for lunch. She had been waiting for us for a half hour and was not very happy. So sorry Sariah! Since I had to leave in about 20 minutes and my car was full of Cami's groceries, we drove to Cami's apartment, quickly put groceries away and ate pita pizzas for lunch. I'm always trying to cram too much into too little time!

I drove as quickly as possible to South Jordan but was late picking Maggie up for her preschool trip to Hee Haw Farm--my next adventure. She was outside waiting for me when I arrived. We drove halfway back to Provo, found the farm, met up with her preschool class who had just finished eating their lunch and enjoyed the rest of the afternoon participating in various farm activities--hopping on bales of hay in the mini maze,


visiting and petting the farm animals,


bouncing on the hayride through giant sunflowers and a cornfield,

running through the corn maze,

picking a pumpkin in the pumpkin patch,

taking a snack break,

rolling around in the corn box,

pretending to be a farm animal,

and enjoying the warm sand on bare toes.

What a great way to spend the last warm day of the year!

I took Maggie back home and enjoyed a wild and crazy evening with Elly's family. I discovered anxious parents waiting for me when I arrived at their home later that night. I had been out in their driveway talking to Sariah for about an hour. They had been calling Elly to try to find out what had happened to me. They had feared the worst. Parents never stop worrying about their kids!

The next day brought cold wet weather. I played with Elly's kids in the morning while she shopped. We had lunch at the mall with the intent of doing more shopping before Elly had to go to work. Again, we tried to cram in too much and ran out of time. Elly went to work. Becca, Maggie and I played at the mall most of the afternoon. We rode the "miracle round" (Maggie's term for merry-go-round), threw pennies in the "pond", climbed around and slid down slides in the dinosaur playground and pretended to ride in those vehicles that I never put any money in. The only sad part of the whole experience was the fact that I had left the camera in the car!

After making dinner for Elly's family, I drove back to Provo to spend the evening with Sariah and Cami. Dinner at Gloria's with Sariah was fabulous. We ate one half of a shared arugula and spinach salad, about one third of each delicious entree and two thirds of the shared mouthwatering Italian cream/strawberry/chocolate cake. Cami called as we were finishing to let us know that she had gotten out of class early. We took her the leftovers before continuing on to Target to do some shopping. Exhausted after a very busy day, I returned to Cami's apartment to sleep the night away. Bri kindly offered her bed--the icing on the cake--and I had a great night's sleep.

Early the next morning, I drove back to Salt Lake to spend the morning with my parents which included a breakfast featuring Dad's special breakfast burritos. I thought they were delicious in spite of Mom's warning that he puts everything but the kitchen sink in them.:) We visited the morning away. Mom and I drove to Margy's house and admired her beautifully refinished floor and newly painted walls before making our way to Paradise for lunch. Our sandwiches on freshly baked bread, steaming homemade soup and fresh-from-the-oven chocolate chip cookies really were heavenly. We sat for two hours savoring every bite and visited to our hearts content.

I arrived home just in time to pick up Jim at the airport, thankful that I'd had the chance to spend the week making memories with family.



2 comments:

Tori said...

What a busy trip!! It sounds like you had a great time, though.

Dan and Dee said...

Wow, I am tired just reading what you fit in. It is hard to do it all but it looks and sounds like you were able to fit it all in on this trip, even arriving to pick up Jim from the airport!
It's fun being a gma and being a mom of college kids isn't it?!