Sunday, September 21, 2008

"Like a Rock" at Camp Glenwood

Girl's Camp was held during the second week of July. As a ward camp director, I was assigned to work with the 4th level girls of the stake which meant that I was actually going to get to camp out (with the 4th level girls) the day before the rest of the girls met at Camp Glenwood. We spent it at Silver Creek Plunge, a campground up in the top of the mountains known for it's large hot springs pool.



The brave ones went swimming in the cold river next to camp. I wasn't one of the brave. I saved myself for the hot springs pool later that evening.




After a cold and not especially comfortable night, we traveled to Camp Glenwood where we joined the rest of the Stake Young Women. We spent the next three days learning to be "like a rock, steadfast and immovable always abounding in good works."

The first day was filled with get acquainted games and camp certification. For the evening camp fire, everyone dressed up in crazy outfits to sing and dance in the "Celebration".

The second day we hiked, worked on humanitarian quilts, played water games, created treasures, and got beautiful in the spa. I especially enjoyed the hike. We followed a gurgling stream and saw everything from sagebrush to ferns along the path. The skits-from-a-bag kept us laughing at the camp fire in the evening.

Mealtime sometimes ended with the cup game.

The fourth level girls.
The activities mentioned above were repeated on the third day after which we attended testimony workshops. We spent the evening with our ward and bishop.


What a bunch of sleepy heads for the final flag ceremony on the last day!


Except for the fact that I didn't get much sleep, I actually quite enjoyed Girl's Camp at Camp Glenwood.

2 comments:

Dan and Dee said...

Looks like your girl's camp was well attended!
Girl's camp in the Houston heat was something I never want to experience again. I did it for many years. Is it too cold to enjoy camp there?
You always were a good camper!

Mom n Pop Wilson said...

I did girl's camp in Texas, too. Camping in Idaho is much more pleasant. It gets cool at night but nice and warm during the day.